You have probably heard the term “fender bender” before. It refers to a minor automobile accident. Fender benders are among the most prevalent sorts of accidents. It is not uncommon to see two cars parked on the side of the road with minor dents and scratches. That is most likely due to the fact that they had just collided and it was a minor fender collision.. They can happen to anyone, anytime and anywhere. Even if these accidents are not usually very serious, they can become troublesome if they are not handled correctly. Normally, the insurance companies of the parties involved should cover the cost of car repairs. Nonetheless, failing to follow each stage of the process can make things more difficult.
What is a fender bender, exactly?
A fender bender is a minor car accident. A fender is an automotive component that protects and frames the wheels of the vehicle. Fenders are seen on the front wheels of the majority of modern vehicles. A minor car accident is referred to as a “fender bender” because this part may become scratched or dented, hence the name. Fender benders, in most cases, have little effect on the vehicle’s functionality. Most of the time, fender benders are merely cosmetic flaws. Nonetheless, there is a chance that the collision will damage a crucial mechanical component of the vehicle. As a result, after a fender bender, you should inspect your vehicle to ensure there are no leaks or weird engine sounds.
Should you call the police for a fender bender?
Not all states require you to call the police after a car accident, especially if it is a minor accident. Nevertheless, calling the police never hurts. Actually, it might be very beneficial for your claim. Calling the police and reporting the collision will leave a record of the car accident. When submitting a claim with an insurance provider, a written vehicle accident report can be extremely beneficial. Furthermore, if the police arrive at the accident scene, they can assist you in obtaining the other driver’s information if they refuse to cooperate with you. Make sure you are familiar with the rules and regulations of the state in which you reside. Some states require you to report an automobile accident if the property damage exceeds a certain amount of money.
Do you need to notify your insurance company of a fender bender?
It is critical to notify your insurance company after any car accident. It makes no difference if the accident was little or severe; reporting the accident to the insurance company is an important step that should not be skipped. Provide your insurance company with all of the specifics of the accident, including how it occurred. It is especially vital to report your insurance company if you were at fault. It will be much worse if they discover you were in a car accident because someone else has filed a claim against you. If you do not report the automobile accident, your insurance costs may increase the next time you renew your coverage. Some insurance companies might even refuse coverage if the accident was not reported in a specific amount of time.
Does a fender bender count as an accident?
Yes, fender benders are considered as accidents. Minor accidents are still accidents, even if they are not significant or have no serious effects most of the time. But if you think about it, nobody wants to have scratches on their cars, especially if it was someone else’s fault. Therefore, most people will try to get their cars fixed as soon as possible and in order to do that a fender bender must be handled as any other car accident. Furthermore, fender benders can be costly, especially if luxury vehicles are involved. Some parts in some automobile models can be highly expensive, and labor costs are usually higher than in average cars.
Are injuries common in a fender bender accident?
Injuries are not very common in a fender bender accident. However, there is still a chance that someone may get injured. Therefore, after a fender bender }drivers must ensure that they are unharmed and then they must check that all passengers are not hurt. If someone is hurt, the first thing you should do is to call 911 to get medical assistance as soon as possible. Furthermore, some minor car accidents can cause injuries such as strains, bruises and concussions. If you were hurt as a result of a fender bender, you can always contact a car accident lawyer. They can help you get compensation for your injuries even if it was a minor car accident.
How to report a fender bender and file a claim
There are some steps that you need to follow right after a fender bender.
- Get medical attention: Make sure that no one is hurt, and if someone is, get medical assistance as soon as feasible.
- Gather evidence and the other driver’s information: Take photos of your car and the other driver’s car. Make sure to capture all the damages to both cars. This evidence can be very helpful when filing a claim with an insurance company. Try to get the other driver’s name, phone number, address, insurance policy number and the specifics of the vehicle.
- Move your car: If both cars can move, try to park to a side of the road, it might be dangerous to leave them in the middle of the street.
- Call the police: File a police report and make sure to get a hard copy of the accident report. This will serve as evidence when filing a claim with the insurance company.
- Report the accident with your insurance provider: Call your insurance company after the accident. Let them know all the details of the event and provide them all the information they request from you.
- Contact an attorney: Contacting a car accident attorney can be very helpful if you are not sure of what to do and if you do not feel comfortable negotiating with an insurance company to receive compensation.
How to prevent fender benders
It is not always feasible to avoid an automobile collision. There are, however, some measures that might help you reduce your chances of getting involved in a crash.
- Focus on the road. Try to avoid any distractions while driving. Using the cellphone or changing radio stations can lead to a car accident.
- Drive slowly and more carefully when the weather conditions are not optimal.
- Obey traffic signs. Do not turn where it is not permitted and stop whenever you see a stop sign. Doing simple things like these can keep you away from fender benders.
- Be careful when backing up. Fender benders are very common in parking lots because people back up too fast or are not careful with blind spots.
Hopefully, next time you drive you make sure to follow these tips to avoid getting involved in a car accident.